About the Yea! brand
Yea!106.5 and WYEA!1290
strive to create high quality programming for our
listeners and targeted audiences for our advertisers,
and to attract, develop, and sustain an efficient and
highly productive group of broadcast professionals.
• To provide exceptional, entertaining, and informative
local radio programming.
• To provide the highest quality marketing solutions,
results, and customer service to the advertisers who
make our existence possible.
• To be ambassadors of goodwill by promoting social,
retail, and economic growth and development.
• To preserve and expand on the traditions and values of
local community-focused broadcasting.
We want to be an integral part of the communities we are
privileged to serve.
Marble City Media LLC and WYEA Radio do not discriminate
in advertising contracts on the basis of race or
ethnicity, and will not accept any advertising which is
intended to discriminate on the basis of race or
MARKET: East Central Alabama – Sylacauga, Childersburg,
Oak Grove, Fayetteville, Goodwater, Mignon, Rockford,
Sycamore, Alpine, and Winterboro, west past Chelsea into
Birmingham, north past Talladega
COVERAGE: Parts of Talladega, Coosa, Clay, Shelby, and
FORMAT: Variety, focused on the best music from the
60s-70s-80s, along with a solid information commitment
with state and local news, sports, and weather.
AUDIENCE: Primary demographic targets are adults ages
RESULTS: Everything we do is about being distinctively
relevant, professional, and top quality. We will give
our listeners the best sounding station in the area and
are dedicated to keeping our advertisers happy with
At 7:00 a.m. on May 16, 1948, what is now WYEA-AM was
born as WMLS-AM on 1290 KHz.
A license was granted by the Federal Communications
Commission on Dec. 23, 1947, and construction began on
Jan. 5, 1948. The original Raytheon RA-1000 transmitter,
serial number 213, in constant use until being replaced
on Jan. 28, 2012, has been refurbished and is now on
display at the Alabama Historical Radio Society museum
Studios and offices were originally located above the
T&J Café at 11˝ W. Second St. in downtown Sylacauga,
although the tower and transmitter were north of the
city in an area with no address later known as 1 Motes
Gertrude Tyson, host of the station’s popular Friendly
Neighbor program, later explained: “WMLS had its
beginning as a dream in the minds of four young
Sylacauga veterans. They had all been in the service
during World War II, and were attending Birmingham
Southern after the war. As was the case with all
returned veterans, they were eager to get into something
that would be profitable to them and serve their
hometown as well. When they learned that a frequency was
available for the 1,000 watt station, they got up a few
thousand dollars between them and the dream soon became
The original investors, who launched the station as the
Marble City Broadcasting Co. Inc., were Curtis O. Liles
Jr., Henry Judson Darden Jr., Edward J. Smith, and James
S. Stowers Jr., with Paul H. Sarvis and Robert H. Arnold
also stockholders. Liles, initially Vice President and
General Manager, became majority owner and President in
buying out later investor Richard L. Scroggins in
September 1953. By 1956, the entire operation had
consolidated in a new building on Motes Rd., and a
companion WMLS-FM signed on the air in December 1959.
Thereafter, Liles became sole owner.
On Sept. 1, 1980, the stations were purchased by Summit
Broadcasting Inc. New owner Joseph V. Windsor, who had
been a senior television group executive in Columbus,
Ga., moved the WYEA call letters from a television
station there to Sylacauga on Nov. 30, 1981.
On April 14, 1986, the FCC approved the transfer of WYEA-AM
and WMLS-FM to Action Communications Enterprises Inc., a
North Carolina-based radio group headed by David C.
Phillips. That September, WMLS-FM changed its call
letters to WAWV-FM, and, after 37 years in Sylacauga,
the familiar WMLS call sign was adopted by a public FM
station in Minnesota.
On June 30, 1993, the FCC approved the transfer of WYEA-AM
and WAWV-FM to W.O. Powers of South Carolina.
On Dec. 23, 1997, Spirit Broadcasting Co. Inc., owned by
John H. Vogel, Robert D. Pierce, and Gary Mitchell,
purchased WYEA-AM. Vogel, who joined the station under
earlier ownership in 1983, became sole owner of the
company on May 8, 2001.
On Jan. 1, 2012, Marble City Media LLC, under a local
marketing agreement with Spirit Broadcasting Co. Inc.,
began programming and operating WYEA-AM. On June 4,
2012, the Federal Communications Commission approved
transfer of the license to Marble City Media LLC, owned
by Sylacauga native Lee Perryman who started his
broadcast career at the station as a teenager.
On Nov. 25, 2013, the FCC granted a construction permit
for a new FM station on 106.3 MHz in Sylacauga. From a
tall tower in the southwestern part of the city, near
the Talladega-Coosa County line, the FM addition began
simulcasting WYEA-AM’s programming just before noon on
Jan. 19, 2014.
On March 11, 2014, the FCC granted an application to
move from 106.3 MHz to 106.5 MHz, followed by
authorization of a power increase on May 7, 2014. On
June 1, 2014, the frequency changed to 106.5 MHz.